When hosting a party at home, you need to have a backup for your ice maker. Your freezer may not be able to do all the job. There are plenty of options for you to choose from in the market these days. To help you decide, you can check the Best Outdoor & Home Kitchen Appliances Reviews at FoodPlusIce. They provide the best reviews online.
Portable vs Under Counter Ice Makers
You have two options when choosing an ice maker. There are portable ice makers that you can bring anywhere you want, and you also have the under counter ice makers that would be a perfect addition to your kitchen appliance. So what’s the difference between the two? Let’s go ahead and find out.
Portable Ice Maker. The portable ice makers are usually as big as a microwave. You can just place this on top of your kitchen counter. This is usually a “plug and play” device. Very easy to use and very lightweight that you can bring anywhere.
- ThinkGizmos Ice Maker. According to FoodPlusIce, this is their best pick for a portable ice maker. This is perfect for camping or small picnics. It is made of stainless steel, with energy-saving features, and can make 3 different cube sizes which can be up to 26 lbs a day.
Under Counter Ice Maker. The under counter ice makers are larger in size. These are meant to be placed under the kitchen counter. These are more expensive because of its size and its ability to make ice. This needs to be hooked on a water line as well as a drain. But unlike the portable ice makers, this can make more and is better in keeping the ice frozen. This is perfect for an outdoor bar on your boat or for an RV.
- U-Line B195B-00 14. This is the editor’s pick of FoodPlusIce when it comes to the under-counter ice maker. This meets the ADA height requirement and can store 12 lbs of ice per batch, and can produce up to 23 lbs of ice a day without draining required. This is very durable and can produce fresh ice while constantly replacing the melting ice with normal ice. This can produce ice 4 to 5 times faster than a refrigerator.
How To Choose An Ice Maker
When choosing an ice maker, there are certain factors that you need to consider. These factors should not be taken for granted as this can affect the ability of your ice maker to produce ice. It can also affect the total look of your kitchen. So here are the factors that you need to consider:
- The Look. Though not a particular factor for others, if you don’t want to make the ice maker look out of place, think about the aesthetic of the machine. With the modern designs, there are plenty of colors that you can choose from. From red, blue, green, whatever your preference is.
- The Size. Think about the place where you can put the ice maker. If you have space under your kitchen counter, then you can purchase an under-counter ice machine. If not, then settle with a portable ice maker that you can place on top on your kitchen counter instead.
- The Ice Production Needed. How much ice would you need? This is very important to consider. When hosting a birthday party, or a BBQ picnic outside, then you need a larger ice maker. If it is for personal use on your RV or your boat, then you can have a smaller ice maker.
With the choices in the market for ice makers, choose the one that would be perfect for your budget, your needs, and your space. Make sure that you are choosing the one that is of high quality and durable.